Backup - backup - backup . . . that is the message we strive to help people remember. Your precious data needs a good hard drive big enough and reliable enough to adequately protect it under normal wear-and-tear conditions. But, what if you conditions are extreme, with excessive moisture, shock, dust, heat, chemicals and other adverse conditions? This is when you need an extreme enclosure to insulate and secure your treasures.
The ioSafe Rugged Portable + DRS (Data Recovery Service is a Go-Anywhere Ultra Rugged Hard Drive by description and in actual practice. The specifications for this robustly sturdy and resilient case are very impressive consistent with MIL-STD-810G Methods:
- Full Metal Jacket Technology – CNC-machined enclosure from a solid billet of aluminum (Al) or titanium (Ti) alloy with a finish that matches Apple’s anodized aluminum exactly . . . crush resistant to up to 5000 lbs (Ti) and 2500 lbs (Al), yet weighs as little as a pound (Aluminum).
- Full Suspension Drive Technology – Full suspension in all six axes of motion . . . optimized for data loss protection from drop and shock of 20’ drops (SSD version) and 10’ drops (500 GB HDD version, 1TB HDD requires optional drive skin).
- HydroSafe Technology – Waterproof, yet heat-conducting barrier to protect against data loss up to 10’ for 3 days in fresh water or salt water (Al version) or 30’ for 3 days (Ti version) per IP68 . . . protects data even when USB plug is in (no requirement for a connector cap to retain data protection).
- ChemSafe Technology – Full immersion in diesel fuel, oils, hydraulic fluids, aircraft fuels, 12” depth for 1 hour with no data loss.
- EnviroSafe Technology – Continuous exposure to UV, blowing sand, blowing dust, rain, salt fog, icing or freezing rain, 24 hours with no data loss.
- AltiSafe Technology – High altitude operation . . . 15K ft. (Al) and 30K ft. (SSD and Ti) rated altitudes.
- Theft Resistant Kensington Lock –compatible slot solid metal construction – theft protection.
The unit I reviewed is a 500GB 5400rpm with USB 3.0/2.0 and a pair of FireWire 800 ports (a 1TB hard drive and 120GB - 600GB solid state drives (SSD) are also available). I ran it through my own set of tests for liquid submersion, climate control, dirty environment, rough-and-tumble use and crush resistance (see my car sitting on this drive). Nothing seems to phase this hard drive . . . it is every bit as durable as advertised. I tried it with three partitions for the most recent three Mac OS X 10.6,7,8 (Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion), and it never missed a beat!
Yet, if that isn’t enough, if the worst should happen, they provide a DATA RECOVERY SERVICE that includes one-time data recovery if needed for any reason and up to $5000 for third party forensic recovery if required. These folks have thought of just about everything, which is why it is so highly rated.￼If you would like to learn more about the ultimate in hard drive protection, visit http://iosafe.com/products-rugged-portable-overview.
The 500GB model is available for $249.99, the 1TB model for $299.99, available in silver or black, with an extra 3 or 5 year warranty available for an additional $50 or $100. SSD units start at $499.99 for 120GB aluminum case, $999.99 for 300GB, and $1,999.99 for 600GB (add $1,000.99 for Titanium case), with an extra 3 or 5 year warrant for an additional $200 or $400 (this extends the Data Recovery Service at the same time). ioSafe also has a broad range of other disaster-proof hardware from which to choose.
If you want the “platinum standard” in extreme portable protection for your data treasures, this is the best solution on the market.
If that is not enough, ioSafe has generously offered a great special for user group members:
The Rugged Portable hard drive from ioSafe is the choice of Mac users who value their data. Built to military specifications and designed to withstand the most extreme environments on the planet, it will keep your data safe. The Rugged Portable is crush-protected to 5000 pounds, drop-protected to 20 feet, immersion-protected to 30 feet for 3 days, and protected from sand, hydraulic and diesel fluids, blowing dust and more. It is available in FireWire 800 or USB 3.0 with a no-hassle warranty and 1-year Data Recovery Service.
Apple user group members receive 30% off any Rugged Portable hard drive.
Coupon Code: (see your Ambassador for this)
Get your protection: http://www.iosafe.com/products-rugged-portable-buy
This US-only offer is valid through July 31, 2012.